Community

ths-sinclairTucker is located in northeastern DeKalb County, situated between the City of Stone Mountain to the south, Gwinnett County to the north and Interstate 285 to the west. A city of “sevens”, Tucker’s downtown is seven miles from a handful of neighboring cities, as well as being home to the seven Tucker Cluster schools. Although not incorporated city until 2016, Tucker has been on the map and in the hearts of residents for over a century.

The Tucker community dates back to the early 1800s when a war veteran named Greenville Henderson was given 3,000 acres of land by the governor of Georgia as a reward for his service. Henderson settled on this land, which includes much of modern-day Tucker. The civic-minded, hands-on nature that has characterized this community for so many years extends back to Henderson and the earliest settlers, four of whom are buried in Tucker. In 1864, Union troops moved into Tucker, using Browning Courthouse as a post in advance of efforts to destroy Confederate railroad lines. Troops then marched along Fellowship Road to Stone Mountain to complete the job, taking up two miles of railroad and laying waste to other Confederate resources.

Tucker TattlerIn 1892, the Georgia, Carolina and Northern built a railroad through what is now Tucker’s downtown. That was also the year that Tucker got its post office, run by postmaster Alpheus Chewning. These are the factors that led to the widely held belief of 1892 being the year Tucker was founded.

Over the course of the next century, Tucker grew and developed, while still maintaining its small-town charm. Cofer Bros. hardware store (1919) and Matthews Cafeteria (1955) remain Main Street staples, as does the annual Tucker Day celebration, which takes place on the second Saturday in May.

Tucker Social

Loading social feed...
STAY CONNECTED